Even if I had all time in the world I still think I’d use this super-simple and delicious cornbread stuffing recipe.
Sausage & Sage Skillet Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 Box Zatarain’s Cornbread Mix (12.5 ounces)
- 1 1/4 stick organic butter
- 1/2 cup organic milk
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage (bulk or casings removed)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch Maldon’s flake sea salt (for finishing)
- Freshly ground pepper
Over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a well seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet (The Le Creuset enameled 10-1/4 inch cast-iron skillet is my favorite). Add sweet Italian sausage and saute about 4 min, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Add the onion, celery, apples, sage, thyme, 1 teaspoon kosher and a few grinds of fresh pepper, stirring, until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. At this point, the meat should be browned, and vegetables tender. Set skillet aside off of heat and spread mixture evenly over the botton of the skillet.
Melt the 6 remaining tablespoons of butter in a small sauce pan, remove from heat. Briskly whisk the 2 eggs and parsley in a large bowl until beaten. Add Zatarain’s Cornbread Mix, milk, butter and stir, until combined. Pour cornbread batter over the sausage, onion, celery mixture in the cast-iron skillet. Place the skillet in a preheated 375deg F oven with the rack in middle position. Bake 15 -18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cornbread’s center comes out clean. Remove from oven and finish witha pinch of Maldon’s flake sea salt.