Savory Tuscan kale + shaved Brussel sprout salad with smoked almonds, pomegranate seeds, shaved pecorino, and a zesty Buddha’s hand vinaigrette dressing.
Traditional Thanksgiving sides have come and gone in our household, mostly because we like to eat on the healthier side of the spectrum these days. This fun salad will leave your taste buds dancing and won’t be overpowered by the traditionally-rich Thanksgiving dishes.
Kitchen Tools: Chef’s Knife , Microplane Zester, Whisk, Medium or Large Mixing Bowl
Serves: about 6 servings
* 1/2 cup Extra Virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil (my go-to is Skyy Ranch Organic EVOO)
* 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 3 tablespoons Buddha’s hand zest (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish) – If you can’t find Buddha’s Hand you can also use the zest of an organic lemon, preferably a Meyer lemon.
* 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar (Alesi is my go-to, and the price is right)
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 1 tablespoon minced shallot
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
* 1 clove minced fresh garlic
* freshly ground pepper
TasteTip: Try some next-level Mustard: The Pommery Royal Mustard with Cognac is absolutely amazing
* 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 lb. total), center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
* 20 medium Brussel sprouts trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
* 1/3 cup Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds coarsely chopped
* 1/4 cup shaved Pecorino cheese
* 1/4 cup fresh pomegranate seeds or 1/2 organic golden apple chopped (you can use more or less to taste)
Combine all vinaigrette ingredients: salt, pepper, lemon juice, Buddha’s hand zest (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish), lemon juice, dijon mustard, white balsamic vinegar, herbs, and garlic) together in bowl or jar. Drizzle oil into mixture slowly while whisking and whisk well to emulsify. Alternatively you can combine all ingredients into a mason jar or bottle, seal and shake well. For best results, allow vinaigrette to marinade overnight.
Combine the finely sliced Tuscan kale and finely grated Brussel sprouts in a large bowl.
Whisk the dressing one last time and gently toss the salad with about 1/2 the vinaigrette. Add more dressing and continue to mix until dressing has coated the salad mixture well. Garnish with remaining Buddha’s hand zest, pecorino shavings, smoked almonds, pomegranate seeds/chopped apples. A pinch of Maldon’s Flake Sea Salt or Kosher Salt and a quick course grind of pepper finish this lovely and healthy salad. ENJOY!